September 3, 2017
The meeting was called to order by Phyllis Mead.
Secretary Report was not available because no one has volunteered to fill this much needed position.
Treasurer’s Report: Jim Guldseth reported our balance presently is $17,197.59. Membership count is 116 households. A motion was made by Carol Johnston with a second by Scott Mead followed by an affirmative vote to accept the report.
Owners of rental properties responses: Scott Mead related response of Tony Shoberg who indicated no outside boats have been brought in as they have 2 canoes and 2 kayaks. Jim Crace addressed the group, advising that his renters have not been allowed to bring in boats from the outside. A pontoon boat is available for their use. He plans to continue this practice. We have not heard back from Dan Mullins who rents his place on Little Pequaywan.
Public Access: Nothing new to report on current accesses and conditions. Discussion indicated it is always a possibility but a general feeling that nothing will be done in the near future.
Next Year’s Program Suggestions:
- CPR training-Ray Barnes provided a contact but a return call has not been received.
- Terrestrial Invasive Species- Concerns of spotted knapweed and tanzy
- Well water concerns-radon, lead, etc.
- Aquatic weeds
- Shoreline erosion
- Aquatic vegetation- Carol Johnson advised of it being a part of a diverse ecosystem. A program possibility.
Brush Day: Saturday, September 9, 2017 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Water Clarity Report: Scott Mead stated the big lake has 8 feet currently. Whereas 10 years ago, it varied between 12 and 15 ft. The Little Lake has a history of greater depth and clarity. Temperatures currently are not measured.
Road Pick Up: Volunteers needed for Wednesday, September 6, 2017. Meet at the Fire Station at 9 a.m. for rolls and coffee. East Shore to Rossini pick up has been completed by Becky Larsen. We will finish the pickup route along #44 on Wed..
Loon report: 4 adults and 3 babies on the Big Lake.. Currently making a lot of musical noise.
Discussion was held on whether to hold another Summer Celebration in 2018 similar to the one held in July,
Nice to see so many walkers. Enjoyed the wooded area
Footprint for future plan is in place
Enjoyed the music
Free in addition to prizes
The Pequaywan Inn appreciated serving 81 meals
Worked through the permit process & liability insurance
Vendors were appreciated
Timing of the 3rd weekend in July was excellent
Fire Department and EMT presence a plus
Possibility in future to include involvement of local artists
Planners worked very hard
Volunteers worked very hard and we heartily thank them
Need more volunteers if event is to happen
- DNR indicated a Smokey the Bear Sign will be posted.
- Road work scheduled between Briar Lake and Rossini Rd in 2018 according to St. Louis County.
- The county moving of roadside grass along #44 may be minimal this year due to concern for bee habitat and survival
- Minnesota concerns over edibility of fish from our lakes
- Boat and dock removal service is available as a school fundraiser for grandson of Mary Pylka. Call 848-2757 to get on the list to have him and his father remove your dock and boat lift.
Motion by Dick Arndt seconded by Scott Mead to donate $300 to the Pequaywan Fire Department.
Thank you to Ron Sluka for mowing. A $50 gas reimbursement will be sent to Ron, Thanks for refreshments by Becky.
Meeting adjourned by President.
Carole Trotter, substituting for a secretary.