Regulations on outdoor burning

We have been lucky not to have had any major forest fires in the immediates areas in recent years. But we can't take safety and responsible outdoor burning for granted. We have had some recent droughts in recent years and burning danger is always high in the spring before the forests green up and in the fall.

The Department of Natural Resources’ restrictions on outdoor burning are designed to minimize fires. The rules are summarized below but you can read the full version on the DNR web site

During dry conditions, particularly in the spring, the DNR institutes a statewide burning restriction and permits are not issued. Under extremely dry conditions, the DNR may issue a burning ban when burning is not permitted even in approved burners. Dates of the restrictions are posted on the DNR web site each spring.

Before you do any burning, it is a good idea to check with our Volunteer Fire Department or the DNR Office in Two Harbors (218-834-6602) to make sure there are no burning restrictions in place and to let them know where and when you will be burning material. This can minimize the department being called to your location on a false alarm or you being fined for burning without a permit.

When are permits required?

A permit is required for:
• Container burning during the day — between 8 a.m and 6 p.m.
• Burning at any hour outside of a container
• Burning at any hour in an unapproved container

You do not need a permit if you use an approved container between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m. If you use it during the day, you need a permit. The container must be 5 feet away from any combustible material.

Permits are not needed for campfires (not more than 3 feet in diameter and 5 feet away from any combustible material) and charcoal grills or camp stoves.

Permits are also not needed when the ground is snow covered up to a depth of 3 inches surrounding the area of the fire.

What is an approved burner?

• Constructed of a non-combustible material.
• No combustible material within 5 feet of the base of the burner.
• A capacity of at least 3 bushels and be maintained with a minimum
burning capacity of at least 2 bushels.
• A cover which is closed when in use.
• No openings in the sides or cover of burner larger than one inch.

Click here to see examples of an approved burn barrel.

What can I burn in a burner?

• Grass, leaves, brush and untreated lumber. No garbage such as food scraps.

What materials can't be burned?

• Materials that produce excess or noxious smoke such as railroad ties or tires, things like sheet rock, chemically treated lumber paint and oils, etc.
• Hazardous wastes
• Demolition debris

Where do I get a permit?

Permits are free and can be obtained at the Pequaywan Lake Inn or the DNR Forestry Office in Two Harbors: 218-834-6602.

How do I report a fire?

Report any suspected unauthorized fires by dialing 911. The best policy is,“If in doubt, report it.” An early report enables a quicker response time and helps to keep fires small




Click here to see examples of an approved burn barrel.

DNR webpages on burning

FireWise: DNR's program to help homeowners protect their property from forest fires.